On behalf of the Group on Earth Observations (GEO), it is my pleasure to announce a GEOSS Symposium on Integrated Observations for Sustainable Development in the Asia-Pacific Region (GEOSS AP Symposium) to be held in Tokyo, Japan, on 11-12 January 2007. The GEOSS AP Symposium is being organized by the GEO Secretariat with the support of the government of Japan, and its goal is to exchange information and enhance common understangding for realizing GEOSS as a tool for sustainable development.
The goals of this symposium are to:
- Present progress on GEOSS implementation to a wide audience of government officials, experts, scientists, the public and the press from Asia-Pacific countries;
- Summarize the current situation of in-situ networks, satellite capability, model predictability, and data integration, and discuss future plans for filling the observational gaps, avoiding duplication and contributing to socio-economic benefit;
- Explore convergence of existing observational networks in Asian-Pacific countries under GEOSS.
To focus our discussion, technical sessions have been organized on the following topics:
- Monitoring Ecosystems and Biodiversity
- Climate change and the water cycle
- Monitoring Forest Fire
- Monitoring Earthquakes
The symposium will take place at Dai-ichi Hotel Tokyo Seafort.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the symposium secretariat.
We are looking forward to seeing you in Tokyo.
Prof. José Achache
Secretariat, Group on Earth Observations (GEO)